Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 16th...another year has passed



July 16th….to some people it will just be another day in their lives. To me it will always be the day that I said goodbye to my only brother Adam Karl Hansen. It was three years ago today that we lost Adam to Cancer. A lot has happened in three years but not a day goes by that I don’t wish he were still here. I miss him so much but usually try not to dwell too much on his passing. I try more to remember all the good times that we had. I feel so blessed to have made the choice to move to Utah over 6 years ago, one major reason is of course I met McKay here and the other is that I was able to spend so much time with Adam the last three years of his life. Really I don’t know if I could have made the move had he not already lived here. The transition was a lot easier knowing that one of my siblings was just going to be living a few miles away.

This year I decided that instead of sitting at work on my computer looking at pictures and reading Adam’s Eulogy (yes I have it on my computer at work) getting all depressed, that I would do something a little better. So McKay had the day off and we went fishing all day. Last year we did this the weekend before the 16th, but I worked the 16th and it totally sucked. Anyway below are some fond memories of good times we had together and with the family.

Adam, Emily and I at good Ol' Bingham Copper Mine, who knew a mine could be so fun!

The last picture of the Hansen family all together was at my wedding.

This is Adam, McKay, Joe and William, with Olivia on the right.  We were having a great day up Spanish Fork Canyon sledding with the fam!!


One of our favorite pass times watching BYU Football!!!  Go Cougars!

So I just want to say that if they have blogs in heaven, I love you Adam and I miss you more than anything.  You were a great brother and wonderful friend.  Thank you for always being a great example to me, and everyone, of how important the gospel is to you and also how important it is to live it each day.  I will continue to hold your testimony close in my heart because it still helps strengthen me today.  

I know Adam hated country but the below song always makes me think of him and it does really state how I feel.  This song hits me the hardest when McKay is gone all weekend I am out walking on a Sunny Sunday afternoon thinking, I really should be at my brothers house in Lehi visiting with him and his family.... It is called Who you'd be today by Kenny Chesney:

Who You’d Be Today – Kenny Chesney

Sunny days seem to hurt the most,
I wear the pain like a heavy coat,
I feel you everywhere I go.
I see your smile, I see your face,
I hear you laughing in the rain,
I still can’t believe you’re gone.

Chorus:
It ain’t fair you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I’ve been through,
Just knowing no one could take your place.
Sometimes I wonder who you’d be today.

Would you see the world,
Would you chase your dreams,
Settle down with a family,
I wonder what you would name your babies.
Some days the sky’s so blue,
I feel I can talk to you
And I know it might sound crazy.

Chorus:
It ain’t fair you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I’ve been through,
Just knowing no one could take your place.
Sometimes I wonder who you’d be today.

Today, today, todaaaaaaaayyyyyy.
Today, today, todaaaaaaaayyyyyy.


Sunny days seem to hurt the most
Wear the pain like a heavy coat
The only thing that gives me hope
Is I know, I’ll see you again some day.

Some day…some daaaaaayyyyyyy……

10 comments:

Lauren said...

It's a good thing I don't listen to country or that song would have me in a fit every time I heard it. I went to the cemetery today by myself and it was hard. I wish you were here to go with me :( I'm so glad we got "our Utah time" together too. My life wouldn't be the same without you in it. I love you!

Deedee said...

What a wonderful tribute to your brother..
We are grateful that we were able to get to know him a little bit. It was a blessing to attend his funeral and learn of the exceptional person he was and the strength of his character and testimony. A brother to be proud of! Love, Stan and Debbie

The Marlatt's said...

Denene....I love you and you are such a wonderful person and friend. I am thinking of you tonight.
I'm so glad that you moved to Utah when you did and you were able to make those memories with Adam. Spending time with family and friends is so important and we should never take them for granted. Love ya-

Erin said...

Denene, what an awesome tribute. We were thinking of you guys yesterday and especially Adam. We tell Royal everyday about the great guy and friend that he is named after. Hopefully he can live up to the name...

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted this. It brought tears to my eyes, he was an amazing person. The number of people that attended his funeral and what was said there testifies of it as well.

The McDonalds said...

I'm glad you posted this. I love you, Denaenae.

Anonymous said...

Fun to have found you! I'm gonna add you as a friend. Hope you're doing well and feeling well!!!
Love ya,
Rachael

lvs2dance said...

What a sweet tribute to your brother! I never met Adam, but I do think about him occasionally. Thanks for posting the pictures of Adam. I love the song that you posted...thanks for sharing it.

Tara H. said...

Denene,
Thank you for posting about Adam. You are amazing and I can't even begin to know how you feel, but please know that we love you and know that strength comes through tribulation. You are so strong and I really appreciate you and the great person you are!! You are so perfect for McKay, and we love you both so much.

RBS said...

Denene,
I know he knows how you feel and that he loves you right back the same way. It is hard to be separated but it is for just a tiny blip in the broad scheme of things. You are someone that I know he is proud of.
Roxanne