Tuesday, July 29, 2008

McKay's Triathlon

So McKay competed in his first Triathlon over this past weekend in Burley, Idaho. It is called the Spudman. It was a lot of fun to go up there with him and watch him participate. He did really well, especially for his first one. He finished in 2 hours and 22 minutes and I think he came in 27th in his age group, or something close to that, out of just under 200 people, so not too shabby I'd say. I don't know how he did over all, there were just under 2000 people who raced. McKay had so much fun he thinks he'll do another in a couple of weeks up in Ogden. So for those that don't know I believe there are 3 levels a Triathlons, the full, Olympic and Sprint. This one was the Olympic, so he swam 1 mile, then biked 24 miles and ran 6 miles. Most people know how great McKay and I are at always forgetting to bring our camera with us. Well when we were in Portland we did buy a new camera and I have recommitted myself to remember to take it with us. So we did not forget but when I pulled the camera out at McKay's first transition area and tried to take a picture I discovered that our battery was dead. Doesn't it figure??? I guess we assumed it was charged up well enough since we have hardly used it since we got it. So we have no pictures of this great event to share, it is a little disappointing. All in all the weekend was good...we camped while we were up there. Some people might think what camping with less than 6 weeks left in your pregnancy?? It really isn't so bad. We had a good time so any sleep I lost was totally worth it. They did have an incident at this Triathlon; they lost someone in the swimming portion. I had already been down and watched McKay transition from the water to the bike so I knew where he was so I wasn't worried. But unfortunately there was a 60 year old man that went down and they didn't find him for 30 minutes, needless to say he did not make it. I saw them pull him out of the water, it was kind of disturbing and I'll be interested to see if they report how he died. The people that did see him go down say that he waved his hands in the air, yelled help once, and went under. Some are thinking it may have been a heart attack because he just went straight down. The water was so murky from the all the swimmers they couldn't find him even though they had people in the water looking for him with in 10 seconds of him going down. It was pretty sad and all of us sitting there watching them search and then find him were pretty sad. They never had anything like this happen before in the 22 years of this Triathlon.Well I have been tagged by a couple different people so I may try to log on a little later and get to those. I hope this post makes since I am so tired today I am not sure it does. Other than being tired today I really have been feeling pretty good...ready to be done with this whole pregnancy thing, but not quite ready for baby so I guess I'll take the discomfort for now.

Much love denene

8 comments:

Erin said...

Wow- congrats McKay! That's awesome! And great job on camping prego- fun, but harder than it used to be I am sure. Are you having a baby shower? I would love to get you something for your new arrival...

Unknown said...

Great, I'm doing a triathlon in 3 weeks, now I have to worry about dying!

McKay did awesome, I'm doing a sprint and I think it will take me about 2 hours.

Lauren said...

Wow, the idea of a triathalon is just plain crazy to me! I can't believe you only have 6 weeks left! You need to get a new belly pic up. I've been thinking about you a lot, I can't believe your boy will be here so soon. I'm glad you are doing so well!! Love you :0

Tara H. said...

Yeah Kayo. That is so awesome. I think the swiming a mile is cool, and the running 6 miles is not to bad, but holy cow, biking 24 miles, that's crazy!!!
Seriously, I know it's all hard and aweome!
We are very proud of you and love all of you so much.
Good luck at the one in Odgen. Wish we could come and see you race.
Love ya tons.

The Original TomKat said...

It's...Katie Doty!!! Congratulations on the new baby! I'm adding you as a buddy...that better be okay:)
www.tomkatjensen.blogspot.com
take care!

Deedee said...

Way to go Kayo....we're very proud of you
Love, Mom and Dad

lvs2dance said...

Great job Mckay! Denene I should warn you that this sport can be so addictive. Speaking as someone who has 'lost' her husband to this crazy sport...maybe we can mourn our loss together! Seriously though, it is so fun to go and cheer them on. I hope that he does some of the races that Chris is doing so that we can cheer them both on together. Hope all is going well with the pregnancy.

Estela said...

Denene, It was so great to see you in Burley at the finish! Congratulations McKay, you did amazing! Maybe one of this days you can let me in the secret on how to finish so fast. Can't wait to do it all over again next year!